Friday, June 26

Stormy Interview Results

Stormy, because I'm watching a strong thunderstorm approach from the West, over Utah Lake. Just beautiful...

Interview results, because, well, the results from the interview are back. Let me explain the whole situation.

First, read Angie's blog from last night.

Good. Now, here's how it all went down. We showed up there a few minutes early, a little flustered because our printer decided to only be "half there," printing only half a line (like the bottom half, not the top), so we had to stop by campus to print our resumes there. The building is one of those beautiful stone and brick office buildings on North University Avenue before Riverwoods. We walked up the stairs to the 3rd floor (forget the elevator - we needed to get rid of nerves) and meet some guy at the front desk of the suite. Something seemed a little odd at first. He's wearing a polo (nice one, but still a polo), and jeans. "Hmm..." I think. "Relaxed kind of guy."

Then he greets us and asks Angie to wait in a side room while I'm interviewed. He takes me back, starts the small talk, then asks me who I know that works here. Suddenly I begin to think that maybe, just maybe, this isn't the interview I thought it was. As my palms began to sweat I looked up at him with a completely natural face and explained that with all the phone calls we made and resumes we sent out, I can't really remember who it was that referred his company to us. (Meanwhile I'm wracking my brain - "This isn't the Costco guy! Who is it?!?")

At this point I realize that my Heavenly Father really does love me. Just as I'm about to spill the beans and announce that, in reality, I have no idea what company this is that I'm interviewing for, he says, "Why don't I explain a little what we do." I bit my tongue. "We're a customer service call center..." I shook my head as if it was an expected comment, while internally I was screaming out of relief and thanking my Father in Heaven for His obvious hand in keeping me from stuffing my foot in my mouth.

He went on, but for the minute or so afterward I was sort of lost, wondering how on earth I could have mixed up the interviewers and how I was going to tell Angie before she stuck her foot in her mouth. I quickly rerouted my Interviewing Strategy from Finance stuff to phone calls/customer service/sales, which took a few seconds to jive in my head, then began to proceed with the interview as if it was completely planned. We were interrupted for a moment when an employee knocked and needed his signature on a document, during which time I stealthily snuck out my phone and texted Angie "this is the call center".

Anyways, to make a long(er) story short, this was the call center my sister's friend works at and gave me the number to, since they hire for the summer and expect everyone to quit once school starts again. Which is what we're gonna do anyways, minus the school starting thing.

He wants to hire me (he can't hire both of us because the company doesn't allow family members to work together) full-time, 9-5 M-F, and I said yes.

To thicken the plot...

20 minutes after I shook Mr. Call Center's hand, the Costco guy called. We have interviews tomorrow at 11am... Oh dear...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cup is running over!!!

Jess said...

lol. I'll bet that you had fun trying to explain that one. :) How fun. I miss you guys...

Post a Comment